Facebook is a social networking website that is operated and privately owned by Facebook Inc. Providing its users with leverage to add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves. Additionally, users can join networks organized by workplace, school, or college. The website’s name originates from the colloquial name of books given to students at the start of the academic year by university administrations in the US with the intention of helping students to get to know each other better. Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommates and fellow computer science students Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes in February 2004 with root traced back to Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States.
Among the obvious known facts about the giant social media platform- Facebook, below are some unusually told stories about the communication flag bearer. While these facts are really cool, some are actually creepy too.
- About 1/5 of the world population has a Facebook account: There are over 1.44 Billion active users on Facebook, which means that Facebook has about 1Billion users more than twitter. Research has shown that 8 new accounts are created on Facebook every second which results to precisely 7,246 new people every 15 minutes from around the world.
Despite the restriction placed on Facebook by the Chinese government, there are yet over 95 million users back traced to china with over 75% of them accessing the site through their mobile phones.
2. Facebook stores more the data than the sum of all written works of mankind: Facebook stores approximately 300 PETABYTES of user data on its servers. There are 1 million gigabytes in a petabyte. The entire written works of humankind, in every known language (including Latin and other historical languages) from the dawn of recorded history, would occupy approximately 50 petabytes. Think about that for a minute. This is a resultant of over 150000 messages sent via the site and mobile apps every minute, 49 Million posts on Facebook, 150000 new friend requests and 7.5Million new likes Every 15 minutes.
3. There is a medically recognized disease associated with Facebook: There has been approved, a mental disease with direct connection to Facebook usage known as FAD (Facebook Addiction Disorder). Users who are affected by this disease have been noted to spend over 3 to 4 hours a day on Facebook against 40minutes per day for an average user. Affected users also have been recorded to add total strangers as friends just with the
aim of increasing the number in friends in their list, these results to the conclusion that over 60% of people on the friends list of affected users are not real. This non-prominent but realistic disease is known to have about 350 Million Patients.
4. Mark Zuckerberg has an eye Defect: Facebook primary scheme colors were set at blue because that is Mark Zuckerburg’s most convenient color, owing to the fact that he is red-green color blind.
5. Facebook & Security- Cool vs Creepy: Facebook agrees to pay anyone one who successfully hacks into their systems and is able to give a detailed report of the hack process. So to that effect, there are over 600,000 hacking attempts made on Facebook every single day. On the other hand, Facebook tracks every site its users are visiting, by using java scripts, i frames cookies even after they log out from the site. This is one way it provides hyper-accurate adverts across its users but this means that sometimes, the users’ privacy might be jeopardized.
6. Facebook and Finance: Peter Thiel, co-founder of PayPal, was the first major investor to back Facebook. Thiel, a luminary in the startup and venture capital worlds, saw the site’s potential and invested $500,000 into the young company in 2004. Thiel later sold his stake in the company for more than $1 billion. Also, in 2005, MySpace was at the verge of buying off Facebook but declined on the note that Mark Zuckerburg’s asking price of $77 Million was too expensive. But Facebook now brings in on average, $3 Billion in revenue every quarter (every 4 Months).
Did You Know?
7. Al Paccino was the first ever face to appear on the Facebook.
8. The Facebook like button was formally going to call “Awesome”
9. You can’t block Mark Zuckerberg on Facebook
10. Did you know that Facebook has a feature that allows users to select who manages their account after they die? Learn that here.
11. Similar to Google, Facebook employees get three free meals a day